I am ready to start! (Is this the part where I say "lights, camera, action"?)
Just today, while I was desperately looking for a genre that seemed fitting to my new film, my father (a classic connoisseur of all things Lebanese) was viewing a "classic" Lebanese film, Caramel. My curiosity peaked as my mother joined him and they both laughed uncontrollably at a scene consisting of arguing people. So, I decided to view the film myself. As I was trying to concentrate on the convoluted and dramatic plot as well as translate the Arabic lines to English in my brain, my mind kept escaping to focus on what my film should be, what genre I should place this film, and how would I capture the attention of the audience with whatever I do. Then, as if a bolt of lighting struck down and enlightened me, I was soon geared on, attentive to Layale (The main character played by the director of the film, Nadine Labaki) and her personal problems that seem to resonate the political overtones of the small country of Lebanon. The shots, edits, cuts, representation all moved gloriously throughout the film and I was at once inspired.
![]() |
| (n.d.). Retrieved March 09, 2016, from http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0825236/ |
Inspired by what, specifically? Well, person reading this, I was inspired by how well the problems of this main character resonated with the audience... Respectively, my mom, dad, and I. We felt her pain. We cried when she cried. We were moved by her actions and most importantly, we learned her history and the history of this one country that is unknown to many, but means whole world to this Layale. And that is exactly what I envision myself creating! I, an amateur film director, want to move the audience with a story of identity, discovering oneself, and the importance of one's roots and background. In small steps, we will uncover a particular original story of individuality. Stay tuned as we embark on this journey with our own main character, Rafka, as she witnesses a strikingly different culture that is America and her transition from hummus and pita chips to macaroni and cheese. Also stay tuned as I try to figure out how this story goes aanndd research, like, a lot!
Freeman, J. (2008, May). Caramel. Retrieved March 09, 2016, from http://socialistreview.org.uk/325/caramel
Scott, A. O. (2008). A Haircut, With an Affair and Highlights of Support. Retrieved March 09, 2016, from http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/01/movies/01cara.html?_r=0

No comments:
Post a Comment