But first, let me give you the good news: I have come to the point where I can gladly say that I understand the plot that I'm to create with my 2-minute opening that will, as you guessed it, introduce the conflict, setting, and character of my "movie". After far-reaching research on the setting and genre (I'll call it a comedy-independent drama), I would like to share with you a short summary of my film (Just in case the plot has seemed vague with my previous post): A 20 year old woman, born in Lebanon, brought up in the Middle-Eastern Maronite culture gets her world turned upside down when she decides to move to the United States, specifically Florida, in search of a better education and employment. She struggles in school and quite simply outside trying to assimilate herself with the expected American culture. She experiences trials and tribulations trying to grasp her roots while managing to fit in the United States. Yet, even when she thinks she disappoints herself, she little-by-little discovers her future as well as her pursuit of something noble.
Ok, now that we got that cleared up, let's move to the bad news: How am I supposed to make an introduction that presents my main character, the conflict, but at the same time can be captivating? In order to be motivated, I tried researching the greatest movie openings of all time, and I luckily did get a few ideas that could help engage the audience thanks to Andrew Stanton. But at the same time, I'm no Stanley Kubrick or Quentin Tarantino and I thoroughly lack imagination. Nonetheless because I try to make the best that I could possibly do, I have gathered some possible routes for my movie intro and I have included a list of obligatory things to add such as the fact that I am supposed to tell a story, establish the tone, and allude to the conflict. And because of this, I need to make the audience care for what is being shown as well as allowing them to put things together but never reveal them the plot. It is more like a "two plus two but never the four". Stanton's comment of "drama is anticipation mingled with uncertainty" really helped me to understand HOW it is that some directors are truly successful with their movies, initiating with film openings.
So, I have chosen two possible alternatives that I can somehow mix into my own film intro:
1. I could make a Moonrise Kindgom type of opening where it establishes the tone. This is a great course of action in order to present the story as a "lighthearted" one. I don't want it to come off as scary or suspenseful, neither something of drama. Although, yes it technically is a drama, it is one mixed with comedy that can ultimately relate to the audience. Additionally, for the opening credits, I could make a home made montage rather than typed credits in order to create that sense of individuality and thoroughly establish the tone.
2. In Inglorious Basterds, what immensly moved me was the heavy dialogue as well as steady movement. It slowly introduces not only the facade of the charater, but what he is and was made from and, really, why he's the "Jew Hunter"Simplicity worked at its best for the opening sequence and maybe it would work best for my film opening. What I would have to work with is the rhetoric and make an extremely well equipped script. The mise-en-scene also inspires me to make a simple set, whihc hopefully goes with the song that was already approved. I can play the song in the beginning and then move to a similar scene as Tarantino's.
![]() |
| Inglorious Basterds (2009) |
Hopefully, I will get the chance to understand further the direction I want to go. Later, I will introduce my storybord, shooting shcedule, and character schedule and slowly but surely will put what was once imagined into action!
A. S. (2012, February). The clues to a great story. Retrieved March 19, 2016, from https://www.ted.com/talks/andrew_stanton_the_clues_to_a_great_story?language=en
Inglourious Basterds (1/9) Movie CLIP - The Jew Hunter (2009) HD. (n.d.). Retrieved March 19, 2016, from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfSjs_6MZOQ
Mecca, D. (2010, September 03). The 25 Most Memorable Opening Scenes In Film. Retrieved March 19, 2016, from http://thefilmstage.com/features/the-25-most-memorable-opening-scenes-in-film/
Moonrise Kingdom. (2013, September 17). Retrieved March 19, 2016, from http://www.artofthetitle.com/title/moonrise-kingdom/

No comments:
Post a Comment